Monday, June 24, 2013

Playz Exclusive****John Manley for Music4Melancholy


It's funny how in a way we are all truly connected, Playz has been someone I knew of and we have  many people in common. We have never officially met until recently in June, where we convened an interview at Barrios Unidos. I have always had him as an artist in the forefront of my mind to interview but for whatever reasons, timing was an issue until now.

Playz
a.k.a. John Manley II, is a representative of East Side Santa Cruz, CA. He has always been connected to music in some way shape or form. "Ever since I can remember, my mom would give me a ton of chores," Playz said, smiling at the memory, "so I would turn on the rock and roll station.Rock and Roll had a huge impact in Playz formative years, as well as punk rock such artists such as: Lynrd Skynrd, NOFX, Misfits, Hall & Oats, and Pink Floyd. In his later years, his love for Hip Hop would creep in and takeover.

In his early 20's,
 he was a part of the group The Minions, alongside Esau Kingsland and Justin Melancon of Life Sentence notoriety. As a local Santa Cruz Hip Hop group,  they had opnened up for such artists asBone Thugs in Harmony, XZIBIT, The Jacka, and Andre Nickatina, just to name a few.

I told him remembered him playing at The E3 Play House when it used to be on Front Street in Downtown Santa Cruz. They did many show in 2007. During this period
Playz disclosed to me, on record, that he was getting loaded and he remembers rapping about his addiction on a song called " Soul Searching," along with the other group members. It was a song about being a slave to drugs and all that it entails. Also around this time, the other group members of The Minions wanted to start their own families. "So around this time, musically for me I was " soul searching" so to speak." 

Then he had met Lee Earl and they hit it off. "Lee Earl is a relaxed, low key, you know everyday dude like myself." Playz and Lee Earl found
common ground and started to form something organic to their sound.  Playz joined the already established group ZO FUNK and during this period, more of his song writing had developed.

 Between 2007-2009,
he had met another artist by the name of Chris Rene an artist he had previously and briefly worked with. "I was doing the whole sober living thing and Chris and I knew alot of the same people just from kicking it and music." So Playz and Chris finally started working together  creatively. They performed at shows in Santa Cruz County with the already established Love Life Crew. "We were openers for many venues. We carried and carved out that Central Coast SC vibe." In 2009, Playz and Chris went on separate journeys with their careers, but remained friends and stayed in touch even though they had different goals at hand.

This is when Pro-Fel Inc was established. As of current,
Playz had been determined to make 2013 a year of performing, promoting and beat making. Also exposing his newest projects such as Pro Fel Inc. merchandise, promoting his Third album, "Shaking it More Than Twice," producing Mrs. Gross’s upcoming album, "Virgin Mouth," and his 4th album is in the works.

"
You know I am a regular local guy, I go to work, spend time with my family and spend time in the studio." Recently, he was a part of UGH41, a compilation of artists, hosted by Kung Fu Vampire, which is circulated throughout the United States and is available online. This year his album will be released on August 9th, 2013. He also has been collaborating with Lee Earl on the "Porch Sessions vol 1&2. Playz and Ross Rock a.k.a. Mike Ross with the hit song, "LURK." They are also collaborating on a new song called, "Lets Creep."

Playz to me is a consummate artist, not only an artist, but a self promoter as well. I love his go -getter style and I truly relate to him on that. I am glad we finally met and I hope to collaborate creatively with him in the near future Be on the look out for many great things to come from this artist.

This has been collaboration between Music4Melancholy and Playz of Pro Fel Inc.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email me @Sonia4rmwestcoastmag@live.com or here on my blog


Facebook Playz
www.reverbnation.com/playzakazombieguttz
www.youtube.com/playzfromSC
www.soundcloud/playzofprofelinc




No comments:

Post a Comment